Electrical Safety Standard
AS/NZS 3760:2010 specifies the generally observed safety inspection and maintenance standards for Australia. This includes the safety inspection testing and tagging of single and polyphase (240v - 415v) portable electrical equipment, and, machinery connected to supply by flexible cord which is currently in-service, returning to service, available for re-sale or hire.
Inspection and retesting intervals can range from daily, monthly, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 2 years and up to 5 yearly testing schedules.
AS/NZS 3760:2010 also includes the inspection and testing specifications for RCD's.
The following items are excluded from the recommendations of this Standard:-
- Fixed or "hard wired" items
- Items at a height exceeding 2.5mtrs
- Items which need to be dismantled to establish safety of operation
- Demonstration items, sample items or new stock in a retail or warehouse outlet
Under the standard, the following basic tests may be conducted on each appliance:
- Visual inspection
- Insulation resistance
- Earth continuity
- Earth leakage
The standard requires the following record keeping establishing the history of tests:
- A test tag attached to each item indicating date, item, person performing the test, and status (pass/fail) of test, along with the retest date
- An asset register and historical record of all test items and test results
- A record of results including faulty item and repair action
Click the image to see a larger version of the table