Electrical Safety Standard
AS/NZS 3760:2010 is an electrical safety standard in Australia that specifies the generally observed safety inspection and maintenance standards. This includes the safety inspection for test and tag of single and polyphase (240v - 415v) portable electrical equipment, and, machinery connected to supply by flexible cord which is currently in-service, returning to service, available for re-sale or hire.
Inspection and retesting intervals can range from daily, monthly, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, 2 years and up to 5 yearly testing schedules.
AS/NZS 3760:2010 also includes the inspection and testing specifications for RCD’s.
The following items are excluded from the recommendations of this Standard:-
- Fixed or "hard wired" items
- Items at a height exceeding 2.5mtrs
- Items which need to be dismantled to establish safety of operation
- Demonstration items, sample items or new stock in a retail or warehouse outlet
Under the standard, the following basic tests may be conducted on each appliance:
- Visual inspection
- Insulation resistance
- Earth continuity
- Earth leakage
The standard requires the following record keeping establishing the history of tests:
- A test tag attached to each item indicating date, item, person performing the test, and status (pass/fail) of test, along with the retest date
- An asset register and historical record of all test items and test results
- A record of results including faulty item and repair action
(If you have already signed up for the guide, please check your email as a larger copy of the table will already be there waiting for you)
Click here to read more on Electrical Safety